Thursday 30 August 2012

Here, have a visa. Dōzo and all that.


Check out the cute nail varnish!


Oh, and that's my visa underneath them. I haven't even entered Japan yet and I have already been subject to flowery stickers. The only thing not Japanese about my visa is the morbid Victorian-style portrait of myself. Well, if all else fails at least I can blag my way into Japan with the help of my passport cover.



People get sent to Japan everyday for less than that.

Via the principle of entailment, you may have already worked out I found Visa-Street Station, and you would be correct - I have. Here's where to find it for all Edinburgers who want to know. It's pretty quiet in there and I'm sure they could use a friend, unless you're a Japanese war criminal - if so they have a nice little picture of you and others on their wall. It's at 2 Melville Crescent (the door with the not-so-subtle Japanese flag above it and what appears to be a small paddling pool according to *Google Streetview).




Once you have hopped over the paddling pool, you just need to buzz to get in. What I found most odd is the inquisitive "hello?" that follows the buzz, in my case answered with "emm... I need a visa?". He can also see you so don't do any unflattering scratches while you wait.

'Processing time' is a word that I must learn in Japanese because it features in so many conversations (I'll do it later, the 'add a new tab' button is too far away). It can take up to two weeks if they are hard pushed but normally it will take 5 days to collect your visa after applying. This is everything you need for a student visa:
  1. Certificate of Eligibility (a 'not visa')
  2. One passport sized photo (of yourself)
  3. Passport (this is what allows you to leave your country and enter a new one)
  4. One completed and signed application form
  5. £23 for a single entry visa or £47 for a multiple entry visa. (This can ONLY be paid in cash or cheque. No debit cards unfortunately, they must be breaking us into the cash-based-society swing of things)
Apparently Americans go free, even the Scottish ones. They must have a machine that only accepts American applications that does it for free or something. That's the only explanation I can come up with... but I digress.

So five days later I arrived at the doorstep of the consulate to pick up my visa. By this point me and the security guard Carl (I think his name's Carl, if not then he looks like a Carl) are close pals so he lets me in with no awkward, hesitant conversations over the intercom. The lovely Japanese lady who saw me last time recognised me - and remembering that I had pre-paid, went off to assemble my papers, which is good since I forgot to bring my receipt. Whilst I was in the consulate it started pouring with rain, and was that thunder? Of course it was. Edinburgh continues to remind me that our 2 weeks of annual summer is over. I'm more ready for Japan than ever now.

Another thing worth noting is an application for a 'Yakkan Shoumei', which is basically what allows you to enter Japan with more than a 1 month supply of a prescription drug and more than a 2 month supply of a non-prescription drug. They are pill-popping-party-poopers at International Arrivals and are very strict. So strict that their application form comes with an instruction manual, just in case we need a reminder that they are Japanese.




If you are planning to apply for a Yakkan Shoumei, be aware that the International Reply Coupons required are no longer issued by the Royal Mail, that would make things too easy, wouldn't it? What you have to do is write a letter promising that you will pay the postage after arriving in Japan  (approx. ¥110) and send this letter to Kanto-Shin'etsu Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare (and Making Money off Gaijin). Then when you arrive in Japan send the stamp to their office. Couldn't be simpler. I must add 'Processing fee' to my essential vocabulary as well...

Now for some toast.



*Image owned by Google, they are always watching...

2 comments: